MEET THE ELEMENTS – AN INTRODUCTION TO THE PERIODIC TABLE
Class Notes Presentation
Lab Practicals and Demonstrations
These are the instructions for the series of lab practicals we will do during this unit of study. The files are all PDFs. Click to open in your browser, or right click to download.
- Copper oxide synthesis
- Elephant toothpaste
- Ionic vs covalent compounds
- Mida double replacement reaction
- Pyrotechnic gummy bear
- Synthesis reaction
- Whoosh bottle
Other Periodic Table Resources
The activity below is a formative task which will help you distinguish between different kinds of chemical reactions.
I originally created the vocabulary list below for a grade 9 class, but now I use it more often with my MYP year 3 grade 8 students.
- Isotopes and atomic mass – Interactive simulation from PhET
- Quizlet study set: Periodic table
- Ionic bonds worksheet
- Naming covalent compounds worksheet
- Balancing chemical equations 1
- Balancing chemical equations 2
- Balancing chemical equations 3
- Ionic and covalent compounds worksheet
- Naming ionic compounds worksheet
Here’s a quick summary review of all the topics covered in the atomic structure, periodic table, and periodicity units.